Information to work in this country is available from

Link to Denmark

Procedures and/or documents that are necessary to be able to work in this country

Dental Hygienists educated outside Denmark (including dental hygienists from the Nordic countries and the EU/EEC countries) must obtain a Danish authorisation to be able to work and use the title Dental Hygienists in Denmark.

It is the Danish Patient Safety Authority who regulate the area and issues proof of authorisations. The following link will guide you to the general information webpage:

Direct link to the webpage regarding authorisation as dental hygienist:

Official licensing body in the country

Danish Patient Safety Authority
Phone +45 72 28 66 00

Special conditions that may apply for hygienists that obtain employment

Danish law require Danish authorisation to work as a DH in Denmark

Contact for Work Permit and/or Visa

Is a job offer required before a Work Permit/Visa is issued?

Not usually.

Main local and/or official language(s)


Are hygienists qualified overseas required to sit the country's national examination?

They need Danish authorization.

Information on the local working environment


Standard tasks that a hygienist is allowed to undertake in the country

Regulated in the law on authorization (Autorisationsloven)

Country Statistics

Total Population5,000,000
Number of Dental Hygienists, Female / Male2,200 /
Number of Dentists4,500
Number of Dental Hygiene Schools / Students per year2 / 110
Practicing Dental Hygienists: Full-time / Part-time 
Number of Dental Hygienists in private sector / public sector 
Number of Dental Hygienists in independent practice 
Number of Dental Hygienists practicing as Educators 
Hygienists practicing as Administrators and/or Consultants 
Number of Dental Hygienists in other practice settings

Information based on data received by IFDH in:


NOTE: The information provided above is for general guidance only. The International Federation of Dental Hygienists advises all hygienists to contact the country’s relevant licensing bodies and agencies for current information and regulations.